Kenworth, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes Program and FASTPORT have joined forces for the Driving for Excellence award. The deadline is approaching to recognize the top rookie military veteran in the trucking industry.
Photo courtesy of Kenworth
The program honors truckers who have made the transition from active duty military to driving for a commercial fleet. The winner will receive a fully loaded Kenworth T680 Advantage.
To qualify for the Driving for Excellence award, nominees must meet the following conditions:
- Military veteran or current or former member of the National Guard or Reserves;
- Graduate of a PTDI-certified, NAPFTDS or CVTA member driver training school, and a current CDL holder;
- Employed by any for-hire carrier or private fleet trucking company that has pledged to hire veterans through the Trucking Track Mentoring Program;
- First employed as a CDL driver trucking between Jan. 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017; and
- A legal resident of the continental United States.
Recently, hundreds of military personnel attended a two-day Hiring Our Heroes transition summit and hiring fair at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. Kenworth brought in its T680 with a 76-inch sleeper and Paccar MX-13 engine to show military personnel what they can be working with.
For a full list of conditions and nomination forms, visit TransitionTrucking.org. Nominations are due June 30.
The top 10 finalists will be announced on July 21, and will be recognized on Aug. 26 at the Great American Trucking Show in Dallas.
Copyright © OOIDA