Each year, Goodyear recognizes a special professional truck driver with its annual Highway Hero Award. Nominations for the 33rd Highway Hero Award are being accepted now through Nov. 29.
Anyone can nominate a trucker who has performed a heroic act in the last year by going to GoodyearTruckTires.com. The following criteria must be met:
- Must be a full-time truck driver;
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada;
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada;
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident;
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to and from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident; and
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2014, and Nov. 16, 2015.
The latest Highway Hero Award was awarded to OOIDA Member Clinton Blackburn of Morehead, Ky. Blackburn rescued a law enforcement official who was being strangled by a prisoner he was transporting. Ivan Vasovic, the Highway Hero for the previous year, rescued a fellow truck driver from a burning tanker truck that was hanging over the side of a freeway overpass.
Other past Highway Hero Award winners include a truck driver who rescued a family of six from a crushed minivan, a driver who saved a woman from a gun-wielding attacker (OOIDA Member Mike Schiotis), and a driver who pulled an elderly man from a car before it was destroyed by an oncoming train (OOIDA Life Member Tilden E. Curl Jr.).
A list of previous winners can be viewed at the website.
After Nov. 29, eligible Highway Hero Award candidates will be narrowed down to three finalists. A panel of trucking industry judges will then select the winner of the 33rd Goodyear Highway Hero Award.
The official announcement of the 33rd Highway Hero will take place next March during the 2016 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Ky.
Copyright © OOIDA