The last remaining closed stretch of Interstate 95 in flood-ravaged South Carolina has finally reopened, according to the state’s transportation department.
Nearly two weeks after record-breaking rainfall pounded the state, a 13-mile stretch of I-95 northbound in Clarendon County reopened Tuesday. The southbound lanes reopened Monday.
At one point following the downpour, the entire 74-mile stretch of roadway was closed to all traffic, after more than two feet of rain fell in parts of the Palmetto State.
At least 19 people have died as a result of the storms and flooding, including one SCDOT employee whose pickup truck was swept away by surging floodwaters.
In a press conference on Monday, Gov. Nikki Haley said the state’s emergency response is transitioning from “a massive response situation to a massive recovery situation.”
“If we thought we worked last week, we’re working double-time this week,” Gov. Haley said during the press conference.
The governor reported that there were no county closings, airport or transit issues, and that no additional fatalities have been reported.
As of Tuesday, 199 state-maintained roads and 88 state-maintained bridges remained closed, according to SCDOT’s website.
Copyright © OOIDA