Goodyear is accepting nominations for the 32nd North America Highway Hero Award through Nov. 29.
Established in 1983, the Goodyear Highway Hero Award honors truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others. The winner will be announced next March at the 2015 Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, Ky.
For consideration, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a full-time trucker driver;
- Must reside in the U.S. or Canada;
- The heroic incident must have happened in the U.S. or Canada;
- Nominee’s truck must have had 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident;
- Nominee must have been on the job – or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck – at the time of the incident; and
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2013, and Nov. 16, 2014
Previous winners include:
- Ivan Vasovic – rescued another driver who fell from a burning tanker truck that was hanging over the side of a freeway overpass.
- Jason Harte – rescued a family of six, including four children, from a crushed minivan.
- Mike Schiotis – saved a woman from a gun-wielding attacker.
- Tilden Curl – saved the lives of two people in a car that had come to a stop on railroad tracks.
- Junici Shimizu – helped save the lives of three people involved in a fiery traffic accident, including one driver who was trapped in his burning vehicle.
Four finalists will be chosen after Nov. 29. All nominations will be reviewed to ensure all information is correct.
To nominate a trucker, visit the Goodyear Highway Hero website. Nominations also can be mailed to the Goodyear Highway Hero Award Headquarters; Dept. 798A; 200 Innovation Way; Akron, OH 44316.
Copyright © OOIDA