Drivers hauling oversize, overweight loads or hazardous materials may need to seek an alternate route if traveling through Colorado during the week of Aug. 18-24.
The USA Pro Challenge, a professional cycling race, will be going through Colorado with seven days of racing divided into seven stages throughout the state. Sections of the race will lead to restricted access to the highways. Highway restrictions will be as follows:
Wednesday, Aug. 20
- Eastbound U.S. 50 – commercial vehicles with OSOW or placarded hazardous materials loads to be held in staging area in Gunnison from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. No alternate route.
- Westbound U.S. 50 – commercial vehicles with OSOW or placarded hazardous materials loads will be held in staging area in Poncha Springs from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. No alternate route.
- Eastbound and Westbound U.S. 50 – all other commercial vehicles detoured to SH 114 to U.S. 285. Detour will add 50 miles to the trip.
Saturday, Aug. 23
- Westbound I-70 – OSOW vehicles to be held at scenic overlook at mile marker 196 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All other commercial vehicles allowed to travel along I-70.
Truckers with an OSOW vehicle can contact the CDOT Permit Office at 800-350-3765 to obtain information about rerouting instructions. Carriers of hazardous materials can also contact the CSP Hazardous Materials Section at 303-273-1875 for information about hazmat routes in Colorado. Specific information on the race routes can be found at the USA Pro Challenge website here.
Copyright © OOIDA