As part of its Business Education Series, OOIDA will be offering a three-part series on purchasing equipment. Part one, “Purchasing Equipment – Buying a Truck,” is now available at www.ooidaonlineeducation.com.
Jason Church of Arrow Trucks joins program host Tom Gann to discuss the ins and outs of finding a truck that’s right for your operation. Church is an expert in the used-truck market.
Some of the topics to be covered in this program are:
- Where should you look for a used truck?
- What should you be looking for during the visual inspection?
- Taking a test drive is more than just reading the gauges; you need to “feel” what the truck is telling you.
- You need to understand gear ratio vs. horsepower vs. torque.
- What story do the tires tell?
- Understand oil leaks; they are not all the same.
- How can you tell if the batteries need to be replaced?
- Are fleet trucks worth considering?
- Do you know what an ECM report can tell you?
- When is an extended warranty worth the money?
- How to check for high blow-buy pressure in the cylinders?
- Do you really need the newer technologies?
Part two in this series will cover purchasing a used trailer, and part three will look at financing options. The seminars can be found on the website under “Series Four: Preparing for Becoming an Owner-Operator.” All three seminars in this series will be available in May 2014 and will be free of charge, courtesy of Arrow Truck Sales.
Copyright © OOIDA