TSA: Expiring TWIC cardholders need $60 extension card

By Charlie Morasch, Land Line contributing writer | 1/16/2014

Millions of truck drivers and other workers who visit U.S. ports have carried Transportation Worker Identification Credential cards for the last five years. Many of those workers will carry them for the next three years.

The Transportation Security Administration recently posted an announcement on its website that TWIC cardholders whose cards expire before Dec. 31, 2014, must obtain a TWIC extension card that will last three years.

“If you hold a TWIC that expires on or before Dec. 31, 2014, and you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. national, you will be able to replace your expiring TWIC with a 3-year Extended Expiration Date (EED) TWIC,” the announcement reads.

To order an EED TWIC or a card replacement, you may contact the UES Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time.

The EED TWIC card’s $60 fee is less than half of the five-year TWIC card’s $129 cost.

TWIC cards were supposed to securely carry biometric identification details. Fingerprints, birth records and other information could be read remotely by security personnel at ports and other major commerce centers that could be potential targets of terrorism.

Problems with remotely held card readers have led most port facilities to use them merely as flash cards, though card readers are reportedly used at some facilities. A report issued by the Government Accountability Office in May 2013 pointed to multiple failures of the program in recommending that Congress scrap the 10-year program for a new card system.

Copyright © OOIDA