Boston shut down Friday during manhunt for bomb suspects

By David Tanner, Land Line associate editor | 4/19/2013

Friday was a chaotic day in Boston, a city coping with a deadly bombing during the marathon and citywide manhunt for a pair of identified suspects. Transportation in the region, including trucking, was in gridlock.

Late Thursday night, bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a firefight with police in Watertown. The gunfight left Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer dead, a transit authority officer critically injured, and a dozen others injured.

Residents awoke to an order from Gov. Deval Patrick to “shelter in place” as law enforcement searched door-to-door for the dead suspect’s brother, 19-year-old Dzokhar A. Tsarnaev.

The two were suspected in the bombing during the Boston Marathon on Monday. Two explosions left three people dead and approximately 175 wounded.

By midday on Friday, law enforcement was still engaged in the manhunt. As of press time, the younger suspect had not been located.

Travel in Boston was upended on a grand scale. Commuter trains and taxi service were shut down. Amtrak service connecting Boston and New York was suspended. Logan International Airport was running but some airlines were waiving cancellation fees for no-show passengers who stayed put.

Permits for truckers were not available through the proper channels.

Michael J. Riley, director of the Motor Transport Association of Connecticut, told Land Line  from his Hartford office that a truck-permitting software provider based in Cambridge, MA, was offline on Friday.

“We can’t issue permits automatically, but they can be done manually,” Riley said. “If they’re looking to move (and need a permit), they can call the DOT.”

Riley was watching Friday’s live news coverage with personal interest. He said his daughter works in Boston and was stranded due to the transit shutdown.

“She wanted to get out of there because it’s been a hell of a week,” he said.

Copyright © OOIDA