Time is running out for submitting comments on the plan to open the border to long-haul trucks from Mexico.
The agency’s proposal allowed for a 30-day comment period, which expires this Friday, May 13.
Effective comments lay out tangible arguments with examples backing them up. Comments submitted with opinion only risk not being adequately considered in the process.
For more information on what constitutes an effective comment, visit the regulationroom.com, a joint project between the Department of Transportation and Cornell University. Regulation Room is currently accepting comments on electronic on-board recorders. However, the guidelines on effective comments are universal and apply to Mexican trucks as well.
Once you’re ready to submit your comments, choose one of the methods outlined below.
Submitting comments electronically:
- Click here: http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FMCSA-2011-0097-0001
- Fill in whatever personal information you feel comfortable with providing. Next, type or cut/paste your thoughts and concerns into the Comment box. If you have a separate file (letter, document, photo, etc.) that is relative to the proposed program, you can also upload those from your computer to the docket on this page.
- Click on SUBMIT and your comments/information become part of the docket that FMCSA must consider.
Or you can submit via:
- Fax: 1–202–493–2251.
- Mail: Docket Management Facility, (M–30),
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
1200 New Jersey Ave. SE.
West Building, Ground Floor, Room 12–140
Washington, DC 20590–0001.
- Hand Delivery: Same as mail address, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
To avoid duplication of comments, submit comments to the docket through only one of the four ways outlined above. Comments are due by Friday, May 13.
To view comments and documents that others have submitted to FMCSA’s docket on the proposed cross-border trucking program with Mexico:
- Click here http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=10;po=0;s=2011-0097-0001
- On the next page, scroll down to the “Results” portion at the bottom of the page. Click on the highlighted names to view those persons’ comments. You can click on the various field headers to sort by name, date, etc. Clicking on the same field twice will reverse the order (if sorting by date for example.)
- If you have not already, please follow the directions above to submit your comments, thoughts and concerns.
NOTE: MAY13 will be the LAST day to submit comments to the cross-border trucking docket.