OOIDA is calling for strong participation from truckers in the latest proposal by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to change hours-of-service regulations.
Attending one of the upcoming public listening sessions in DC, Dallas or L.A. is an effective way to be heard on the issue, and OOIDA will have representatives at each session to assist and to speak with truckers about their concerns. The goal is to shape the rulemaking that the FMCSA is preparing.
Listening sessions are scheduled from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time as follows:
- Tuesday, Jan. 19, at the Doubletree Hotel Crystal City National Airport, 300 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA 22202;
- Friday, Jan. 22, 2010, at the Hyatt Regency Dallas Forth Worth Airport, DFW International Parkway, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX 75261; and
- Monday, Jan. 25, 2010, at the Doubletree Hotel Los Angeles International Airport, 1985 E. Grand Ave., El Segundo, CA 90245.
Because these events are at airport hotels, truck and trailer parking may be tough to find.
For those who want to go to the event in the DC area, try these places to park, approximately a half-hour from the event:
- TA, 7541 Assateague Drive, Jessup, MD, 410-799-3835;
- Chantilly Truck Stop, 43673 John Mosby Highway, Chantilly, VA, 703-471-1100; and
- New Transit Truck Stop, 8400 Veterans Highway in Millersville, MD, 410-987-1444.
At the DC event, look for OOIDA Government Affairs Director Rod Nofziger and Government Affairs Counsel Laura O’Neill who will be there to assist.
For the Dallas area event, try these:
- Big D Travel Center, 300 N. Loop 12, Irving, TX, 972-445-2443; and
- Knox Fuel Stop, 2221 Irving Blvd., Dallas, TX, 214-651-8927.
OOIDA Director of Regulatory Affairs Joe Rajkovacz will be on the ground at the Dallas event.
For the Los Angeles event, Rajkovacz and Land Line Magazine Senior Editor Jami Jones will be on hand.
These truck stops are in the vicinity:
- Crown Crenshaw Plaza, 3739 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 323-291-2614;
- Gardena Truck Stop, 333 East Rosecrans Ave., Gardena, CA, 310-516-7707.
Working truckers may not be able to make it to the sessions. Don’t worry. You can file comments by mail, overnight courier, fax, or on the Internet, and OOIDA is ready to assist in those efforts as well.
Arm yourself with information. OOIDA has provided its comments and other useful information at ooida.com under Issues & Actions. You read the documents here.
Public comments may be submitted in a number of ways, but it’s crucial for the submitter to include the official docket number. The docket number for this rulemaking is FMCSA-2004-19608.
Online: Log on tohttp://www.regulations.gov and follow the online instructions for submitting comments.
Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
Hand delivery or courier: Monday through Friday, except federal holidays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at U.S. Department of Transportation, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001.
Watch landlinemag.com and listen to Land Line Now on Sirius XM for updates.
Copyright © OOIDA