Truckers from the Show-Me State will soon be able to apply for grants to replace old diesel trucks and to add idle reduction devices and other emission-cutting technology.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ Air Pollution Control Program was recently awarded $1.73 million from the federal government’s American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Missouri has selected four agencies to distribute the grant money for specific state regions. Applications may be submitted for emission-control retrofits like diesel particulate filters; idle reduction technology; EPA SmartWay technology designed to reduce aerodynamic drag; fuel conversion kits; engine repowers; and vehicle replacements.
Agencies from each region will be posting request for proposal information on July 31, said Mark Leath, environmental engineer with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Applications will be accepted until the end of September, when awardees will be chosen by a lottery system.
“As long as it is eligible, grant applications will receive an equal opportunity to be funded through the lottery,” said Amanda Graor of the Mid-America Regional Council, which is administering the Kansas City region portion of the state’s clean diesel project.
Fifty percent of funding will be set aside for public fleets, and the other half will go to private fleets.
Emission-control retrofits would be 100 percent funded by the grant, while the idle-reduction technology, SmartWay technology, fuel conversion kits and engine repowers would require 25 percent of the cost to be paid for by the truck owners.
Total truck replacements through the program require 75 percent of the cost to be paid for by the truck owner.
- St. Louis area counties include: St. Louis, St. Charles, Lincoln, Franklin, Washington, Warren and Jefferson. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
- Kansas City area counties include Clinton, Clay, Jackson, Platte, Cass, Ray and Buchanan. For more information, e-mail agraor@MARC.org.
- The Southwest region includes the counties of Cedar, Polk, Dallas, Barton, Dade, Greene, Webster, Christian, Jasper, Newton, McDonald, Lawrence, Barry, Stone and Taney. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Southeast region includes the counties of St. Francois, Ste Genevieve, Perry, Cape, Bollinger, Madison and Iron. Truck owners there can e-mail email@example.com.
Eligible vehicles include school buses, transit buses, fire trucks, medium- and heavy-duty trucks, trash trucks, construction equipment, agricultural equipment, locomotives, marine engines, stationary diesel engines, mining equipment and cargo-handling equipment stationed in one of the eligible areas.
– By Charlie Morasch, staff writer