Arkansas accepts applications for $1.5 million emissions program

By Charlie Morasch, Land Line staff writer | Thursday, July 16, 2009

Truckers who do at least half of their driving in Arkansas may be eligible for part of a $1.5 million diesel grant program the state will begin awarding truckers this fall for emission-reduction technology.

The Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality is using federal stimulus money to help fleets and owner-operators buy clean air equipment like APUs, retrofits or engine replacements.

The deadline for applications is Aug. 31.

Aaron Sadler, a spokesman for the state environmental department, said owner-operators will pay 15 percent of a project’s bill, and the grants will pay the remaining 85 percent.

“This program is primarily directed toward government agencies, nonprofits, schools, and private entities that want to do their part for the environment,” Sadler told Land Line Now on Thursday, July 16.

According to the ADEQ, “priority will be given to clean diesel projects that maximize public health benefits; create or preserve jobs; are cost effective; serve areas with the highest population densities or are in poor air quality areas; maximize the useful life of certified engine configuration or verified technology; conserve diesel fuel or encourage the use of ultra-low sulfur diesel in non-road diesel engines.”

The project has a $200,000 cap per grantee.

More information is available here.

– By Charlie Morasch, staff writer
charlie_morasch@landlinemag.com

 

Copyright © OOIDA

Comments