Twice weekly on Tuesday and Friday from now until April 15, Land Line will bring you tax tips from PBS Tax and Bookkeeping Service. Howard Abrams and PBS have been providing income tax and bookkeeping services to the trucking industry for more than 25 years. OOIDA features Howard’s column, “Tax tips,” in each issue of Land Line Magazine.
Today’s tax tip is: Get a jump on your taxes.
Follow the checklist:
1. Gather your records in advance. Make sure you have all the records you need, including W-2s and 1099s. Don’t forget to save a copy for your files.
2. Compare amounts on 1099s and W-2s with your records to make sure they agree.
3. If the amounts don’t agree, call the payer or use the amount you think it is by doing an adjustment on your tax return.
4. You must have receipts and backup information for everything that appears on your tax return. Using an income tax organizer that outlines everything you need will be very helpful.
5. E-filing is easy. E-filing catches math errors, provides confirmation that your return has been received, and generates a faster refund.
6. Get the fastest refund. When you e-file early, you receive your refund faster. When you choose direct deposit, you receive your refund soone