The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. is starting its second quarter-century of celebrating heroic truck drivers. The company announced in recent days that the search is on for U.S. and Canadian drivers to be nominated for the 26th annual Goodyear North America Highway Hero Awards. Nominations will be accepted through Nov. 30.
To be considered for this year’s award, the following criteria must be met:
- Nominee must be a full-time truck driver;
- Nominee must be a resident of the United States or Canada;
- Incident recognized must have occurred in the United States or Canada;
- Nominee must have been on the job or on the way to or from work, and in his or her rig at the time of the incident;
- Nominee’s truck at the time of the incident must have 14 wheels or more;
- Incident must have taken place between Nov. 16, 2007, and Nov. 15, 2008, to qualify.
“Too many times, we only hear about the negative news of our world. That extends to truck drivers, who are truly misunderstood for the role they play in moving freight from the factories to our homes,” said Joe Copeland, vice president for Goodyear commercial tire systems.
“We see today’s truck drivers as the brave men and women who make our highways safer and drive our economy. They truly are America’s unsung heroes, and we want to honor them. Anyone can nominate a truck driver for this high honor.”
Nomination forms and program details may be obtained by calling the Goodyear Highway Hero Hotline at 330-796-8183. The nomination form also is available on the program’s Web site at