Nominations for the 52nd annual Bridgestone Firestone Canadian Truck Hero Award are due by Sept. 30. The award is designed to give special recognition to a Canadian professional truck driver who has demonstrated courage, quick thinking and integrity in the face of emergency.
Since 1956, the award has been presented to more than 50 professional Canadian truck drivers who have gone above and beyond the call of duty, putting the safety and well-being of others first. The winner will be announced in November.
The award includes:
- A $3,000 check from Bridgestone Firestone Canada Inc. to the winner;
- A trip for two to Toronto for two nights for the award presentation;
- A Bridgestone Firestone Canadian Truck Hero Award trophy;
- Recognition at the annual Ontario Trucking Association Convention in mid-November in Toronto; and
- A trip for two for the owner of the winner’s trucking company to Toronto for two nights to attend the award presentation.
All nominations must be couriered or mailed to:
Bridgestone Firestone Canadian Truck Hero Award
c/o Torchia Communications
130 Spadina Avenue, Suite 502
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2L4.
Click here to print out the nomination form.
Nomination requirements are as follows:
- Nominees must be full-time commercial transport truck drivers;
- Nominees must work for a Canadian trucking company;
- Nominees must be Canadian residents;
- A police statement or affidavit corroborating driver actions is to be included with the nomination;
- The incident to be recognized must have taken place in North America between Jan. 1, 2007, and Sept. 30, 2008.
Special consideration will be given to:
- The degree of personal danger or risk encountered;
- Emergency procedures followed;
- Assistance rendered to victims involved; and
- Use of safety and training skills and the proper use of available safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguisher).
Faxed nominations will not be accepted. Nominations and/or related documentation will not be returned.