Faulty ceiling fan blamed for MA truck fire that killed 60 puppies

| Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Investigators in Massachusetts believe an overheated ceiling fan may have caused a tragic tractor-trailer fire that killed 60 puppies Monday, Aug. 14.

The fire broke out in a 40-foot trailer as it was being pulled along an access road near Interstate 495 and State Route 3 in Lowell, MA. A representative for the Lowell Fire Department told reporters the fire was extinguished quickly, but it was too late for all of the animals inside.

According to The Boston Globe, local and state officials, along with representatives from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, promised a thorough investigation into whether any animal welfare laws were violated by either the fire or the way in which the animals were being transported.

The driver of the truck, Joseph Price of Joplin, MO; his passenger, William Iriarte of Neosho, MO; or the shipper, Hunte Corp. of Goodman, MO, have not been charged in connection with the incident, although investigators told the Globe charges are still possible.

Comments