A second list of
’s top 25 trucking safety violators has been released, this time incorporating interstate operators.
On Tuesday, Aug. 23, the state’s Transportation Commissioner released a list of the top 25 interstate companies with poor safety records on order of the governor, following a crash with a dump truck in late July in
, that left four people dead.
Rell had asked for a similar top-25 list on Aug. 17, but it did not include companies based in
and operating out-of-state. Those companies underwent additional inspections, putting 61 trucks out of service.
On Friday, July 29, a 12-wheeled dump truck owned by American Crushing and Recycling careened down Route 44, slamming into cars waiting at the intersection with Route 10. Four people were killed, including the truck’s driver, Abdulraheem Naafi, also known as Terrance R. Stokes.
Department of Transportation records show that inspectors had found five brake violations on the truck involved in the crash during inspections in the past. All of the problems were corrected, according to Newsday.
American Crushing and Recycling, the company that owned the truck, also had 448 mechanical violations between 1994 and 2001 while operating as Wilcox Trucking. The company changed names after the state Department of Motor Vehicles suspended the registrations of 16 of its trucks because they failed to comply with a number of repair orders, a DMV spokesperson told Newsday.
Despite a number of violations, the company was not in either of the lists for the top 25 violators in the state.
Naafi’s own history is also being questioned in the investigation. The accident occurred just two days after he began working for American Crushing and Recycling – the day after he was fired from another trucking company partially because he could not operate the truck’s transmission, Newsday reported.
Under a third, unreleased name, Naafi had a criminal record that included a robbery conviction.
Below is the list released by the governor of the top 25 interstate companies with the worst safety ratings, based on accident frequency, driver safety, vehicle safety and out-of-service rates. The companies are not listed in a specific order.
- Ginnetti Trucking LLC, East Haven (DOT# 586237)
- Drop & Hook Transportation Inc., Simsbury (DOT# 866839)
- Testa Construction Co. Inc., Stamford (DOT# 562495)
- Chuck & Eddie Used Auto Parts Stratford Div LLC, Stratford (DOT# 430040)
- A Royal Flush Inc., Bridgeport (DOT# 653524)
- Marco V Gucowski, New Milford (DOT# 955152)
- Superior Waste Disposal Inc., Danbury (DOT# 753407)
- Ray & Sheri Trucking LLC, North Haven (DOT# 689745)
- Industrial Pallet LLC, Eastford (DOT# 371810)
- Liberty Towing & Recovery LLC, Waterbury (DOT# 1231233)
- Lee Trucking LLC, Andover (DOT# 363124)
- Metal Management-Connecticut Inc., North Haven (DOT# 952201)
- T C & Sons Trucking LLC, Milldale (DOT# 767085)
- A And A Construction Services LLC, Hamden (DOT# 1092984)
- Watson’s Express Inc., Stamford (DOT# 1224747)
- Armstrong Paving Contractors LLC, New Britain (DOT# 1233168)
- Costello Industries Inc., Newington (DOT# 57009)
- Kenneth Tribble, Bethany (DOT# 1122174)
- Central Auto & Transport LLC, Hartford (DOT# 357848)
- Tony’s Long Wharf Inc., New Haven (DOT# 636670)
- Tony’s LongWharf Transport LLC, Newhaven (DOT# 1311038)
- Cipolla Transport Company LLC, Trumbull (DOT# 1187504)
- White Building & Remodeling, Griswold (DOT# 1207711)
- P & D Transport LLC, Portland (DOT# 955340)
- Tony's Long Warf Transportation LLC, North Branford (DOT# 1010469)