A major figure in Chicago’s corrupt Hired Truck Program
pleaded guilty on April 5 to taking bribes from truck companies, Chicago-area
John “Quarters” Boyle, a former low-level city worker from
Norwood Park, pleaded guilty to one count of mail fraud and an IRS tax count.
Boyle is not cooperating with prosecutors on the case, according to published
reports in The Chicago Tribune and The
Chicago Sun Times. However, his guilty plea will get his other 11 charges
dismissed, prosecutors told the publications.
So far 27 individuals, 14 of them former city employees,
have been charged in the scandal, according to published reports. The list of
convictions includes Angelo Torres, former director of the Hired Truck Program;
Jason Martin, a city employee; and Martin McDonagh, a trucking company
operator. Nick LoCoco, a Chicago Transportation Department employee had also
pleaded guilty to charges, but he died in a horse-riding accident in December.
Prosecutors told the two publications Boyle took thousands
of dollars in bribes from trucking companies in exchange for continued work
within the city program. Additionally, he solicited the companies for political
contributions, including money for Cook County Commissioner John Daley’s 11th
Ward Democratic Organization.
Boyle’s sentencing is scheduled for late July. His guilty
plea could have him facing 23 years in prison, although prosecutors will seek
an 8-year term, according to The Chicago Tribune.