Federal Highway Administration has concluded in a new report that Boston’s Big
Dig tunnels are safe for truckers and others to use.
report, which was released by the agency Monday, April 4, concludes “that
the project is structurally sound and remains safe for traffic but recommends
that work continue with inspections and repairs to put a stop to any and all
leaks as soon as possible.”
The Federal Highway Administration began investigating the
safety of the tunnels when the first leaks started popping up late last year.
The recently released report was based on a three-day assessment of the
tunnels’ integrity conducted in December by senior engineers, according to The
The safety of the tunnels has been questioned since Jack Lemley, an independent
engineer who is examining the massive set of tunnels, said in mid-March that he
was no longer able to assure that the tunnels making up the Big Dig were safe.
“I am now unable to express an opinion as to the safety of
the I-93 portion of the Central Artery,” Lemley wrote in a
letter he reportedly sent to the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority that
was delivered March 9. The Boston Globe obtained
a copy of the letter. “My modified position is necessary due to a revised
understanding of the magnitude of problems that we became aware of following
our testimony on Nov. 30, 2004, and the recent failures reported in the local
His comments were widely reported
in the media. But they were not the first time someone had raised concerns
about the Big Dig, formally known as the Central Artery
In late 2004, The Boston Globe began a series of blistering reports about a
series of leaks that appeared in the tunnel system. Since the initial report,
leaks have been reported in more and more tunnel sections, leading to
investigations and legislative hearings.
As of March 15, The Globe reported that leaks, construction faults and damage to
fireproofing can be found in roughly 40 sections of the tunnels.
The Big Dig was created to take the elevated interstates
that once ran into the center of Boston and replace them with wider,
higher-capacity underground highways, including new tunnels and bridges to
carry traffic over and under the city’s waterways. The Big Dig carries portions
of several highways, including Interstate 93 and I-90.
The $14.6 billion project – called the largest of its kind ever in the
United States – included numerous, massive cost overruns, and the private
concerns in charge of the work have drawn the ire of local, state and federal
Highway Administration officials said in a statement that they would continue
to monitor the project, not only to ensure it is safe and remains open to
traffic, but also to protect the multibillion-dollar investment taxpayers have
made in the project.
The agency expects to issue a follow up later this year,
after inspections and repairs are complete.