Iowa 80 Truckstop to open Trucking Hall of Fame

| 3/6/2003

The Iowa 80 Truckstop in Walcott, IA, has already begun work on its new trucking museum, appropriately named the Trucking Hall of Fame. The museum will be built in two phases, with its grand opening taking place in 2005.

Iowa 80’s Trucking Hall of Fame will be 21,600 square feet and able to display 27 trucks at one time with room for storage of other trucks not currently being displayed. The museum also will include a gift shop and sidewalk leading from the truck parking lot to the museum, providing easy access for professional drivers. Iowa 80 also plans to have a full-time restoration expert on staff allowing visitors to watch truck restorations in progress.

(photo courtesy of Iowa 80)

This artist's rendering shows the Trucking Hall of Fame building proposed for the Iowa 80 Truckstop.

"My father loved trucks and trucking," Delia Moon Meier, one of the members of the family that owns the truckstop, said. "Over the years, he collected several antique trucks, antique toy trucks and other trucking memorabilia. This is going to be a great way for us to share that with others interested in trucking and its history."

Even though Bill Moon died in 1992, The Moon family continues to add to the collection, which now consists of more than 100 trucks and trailers. The collection will be the main source for the museum, displaying everything from a 1910 Avery to a 1961 B-61 Mack.

Other interesting trucks include the first Mack AC ever produced; a 1924 White wrecker featured in the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes”; a rare half-cab Kenworth; a 1912 Saurer – the only remaining American-built Saurer; and a 1934 GMC truck and trailer that was purchased from the original owner’s family.

In addition to the antique trucks, the museum will feature old signs, gas pumps and engines along with other truckstop and trucking artifacts.

The owners have not yet decided the museum’s hours of operation and admission price.