Dec. 31 is Goodyear's deadline for submitting nominations for its
19th annual Highway Heroes program.
"The Highway Hero program was created by the Goodyear Tire
& Rubber Company to recognize professional truckdrivers and
the life-saving rescues and roadside assistance they provide,"
said Ted Fick, Goodyear's vice president, commercial systems. "Through
this program, we've heard hundreds of stories of bravery and selflessness.
We believe the public should hear about these acts of heroism as
Nominations should be made by calling the Goodyear Highway Hero
Hotline at (330) 796-8183. The nomination form also is available
For award consideration, the following necessary criteria must be
· The nominee must be a full-time truckdriver;
· The nominee must reside in the United States or Canada;
· The incident must have occurred in the United States or
· The nominee must have been on the job or on the way to
or from work, and in his/her rig at the time of the incident;
· The nominee's truck, at the time of the incident, must
have 14 wheels or more; and
· The incident must have occurred between Oct. 1, 2001 and
Dec. 15, 2002, to qualify for this year's program.
After the nomination period is closed, winners will be selected
from each state and Canadian province. Ultimately, the list will
be narrowed to four finalists. These finalists will appear at the
Mid-America Trucking Show in Louisville, KY, where one of them will
be selected to serve as the annual ambassador for the program.