OOIDA members David and Allyson Geer standing next to "Marooned."
A handful of OOIDA members were among those honored last weekend at the 20th Anniversary Rotella SuperRigs Truck Beauty Show in Ontario, CA. More than 100 contestants representing 26 states and three provinces participated.
The show's top honor went to OOIDA members David and Allyson Geer, of Oklahoma City. Their 1998 Peterbilt 379 tractor-trailer, "Marooned," was named Best of Show. Reserve honors went to OOIDA members Donnie and Diana Harper, of Somerset, KY, and their September 11 tribute, "Enduring Freedom."
Truckers competed in three categories, including: tractor, tractor-trailer, and classic. Five winners were announced for each.
Other OOIDA members honored were Tod Job, of Jefferson City, MO, winner of the tractor-trailer category with his 1996 Peterbilt. Darian Stephens of Hereford, PA, finished second with his 1995 Freightliner Classic XL 132. Ron Kelsey of Peoria, AZ, finished third in the classic category with his 1981 Peterbilt 329.
Competitors vied for more than $20,000 in cash and prizes, plus an opportunity to appear in the 2003 Rotella SuperRigs calendar. Each year, the 13 calendar positions are selected from trucks at the event, with the top two show positions the only trucks guaranteed entry. Only working trucks operating in inter- or intrastate commerce were eligible.
Every entrant received a $60 value gift package from Shell, including oil, extended-life coolant, diesel fuel additive. Entrants also received a variety of other items.
Complete list of class winners:
Best of Show
1. David and Allyson Geer, Oklahoma City - 1998 Peterbilt 379 tractor-trailer
2. Donnie and Diana Harper, Somerset, KY - 2002 Peterbilt 379 tractor
3. William Sandvik, Valley Center, CA - 1992 Peterbilt 379 tractor-trailer
1. Tod Job, Jefferson City, MO - 1996 Peterbilt 379 tractor-trailer
2. Donald Goulet, Lakeland, FL - 2000 Kenworth W900L
3. Bed Rock Inc., Point Arena, CA - 2000 Peterbilt 379
4. Rick Walker, Denver - 1953 Peterbilt 411
5. Keith Bell, Arp, TX - 2002 Peterbilt 379
1. Bill Pierce, Poway, CA - 1986 Peterbilt 359
2. Trees Forever Pipe and Equipment, Brownwood, TX - 1986 Peterbilt 359
3. Ron Kelsey, Peoria, AZ - 1981 Peterbilt 329
4. Robert Keffer, Ventura, CA -1983 Peterbilt Cabover 362
5. Earl Hogan, Columbus, GA - 1955 Peterbilt 332
1. Jerry and Allan Asbury, Dayton, OH - Kenworth W900L
2. Darian Stephens, Hereford, PA - 1995 Freightliner Classic XL132
3. Churck Prigge, Valley Center, CA - 1996 Peterbilt 379
4. A.J. Leonhard, Byron, IL - 2000 Peterbilt 379
5. Jeff Hillyer, Minerva, OH - 2002 Kenworth W900L