FMCSA to advise hazmat carriers on security steps

By Dick Larsen, senior editor | Friday, January 17, 2003

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced recently it would visit about 1,500 hazmat carriers to advise them to take certain security steps to prevent the threat of turning their cargo into a weapon of mass destruction.

According to FMCSA spokesman David Longo, William Quade, head of FMCSA's hazmat division, said at a recent meeting of the Transportation Research Board that the visits would begin in the spring. They will concentrate on carriers who handle munitions and certain chemicals.

"We want to see those carriers that transport the most dangerous cargo," Longo told Land Line. "This is a follow-up visit to one we conducted last year."

Comments