Rep. Abby Finkenauer, D-Iowa, has been named vice chairwoman of the U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee on Highways and Transit in the 116th Congress.
The subcommittee on Highways and Transit is responsible for developing national surface transportation policy, construction and improvement of highway and transit facilities, implementation of highway and transit safety programs and research activities, and regulation of commercial motor vehicle operations.
The subcommittee has jurisdiction over many U.S. Department of Transportation programs, including:
- Federal-aid Highway Program administered by the Federal Highway Administration.
- Federal transit programs administered by the Federal Transit Administration.
- Highway safety grants and research programs administered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Commercial motor vehicle safety programs and regulations administered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Surface transportation research administered by FHWA, FTA, FMCSA, NHSTA and coordinated through the Office of the Secretary of Transportation.
“With major legislation on the horizon, I am thrilled Congresswoman Finkenauer agreed to take on this new role to help lead the subcommittee as we find a path forward on federal infrastructure investment,” Rep. Peter DeFazio D-Ore., said in a news release. He is chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, which includes the subcommittee. “I have no doubt her passion for public service will be a huge asset not just to our committee, but to communities in Iowa and across the country.”
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C., is chairwoman of the Highways and Transit subcommittee. She said she welcomed the experience Finkenauer brings to the subcommittee.
“Her prior service as a member of the transportation committee in the Iowa House of Representatives will make Rep. Finkenauer particularly valuable to the committee and subcommittee," Norton said in the news release. "I look forward to working with her as we invest in the nation’s infrastructure and transit.”
To learn more about the Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, click here.
Copyright © OOIDA