The 2015 Peterbilt 389 and 2018 Wally-Mo 8 car hauler of OOIDA member Eric Turner Sr. captured Best of Show at Shell Rotella SuperRigs in 2018. (Courtesy Shell Rotella)
The 37th annual Shell Rotella SuperRigs is scheduled for July 25-27 at Trail’s Travel Center in Albert Lea, Minn.
The Shell Rotella SuperRigs competition is truck beauty contest for actively working trucks. Owner-operator truckers from across the United States and Canada will compete for more than $25,000 in cash and prizes. Twelve drivers will be selected to have their trucks featured in the 2020 Shell Rotella SuperRigs calendar.
There is no fee to enter the SuperRigs competition. The Wednesday-through-Saturday event is designed to be family friendly.
Highlights include a fireworks display, a truck lights competition, music throughout the weekend and a barbecue lunch for competitors.
Land Line Magazine Managing Editor Jami Jones will return once again as one of the judges for the event. She joins Red Eye Radio’s Eric Harley, and trucking industry journalists Steve Sturgess and Cliff Abbott.
Trails Travel Center Petro is at the intersection of I-35 and I-90. Take Exit 11 from I-35.
Trail’s Travel Center has more than 300 truck parking spaces, the Skol Tavern sports bar, Iron Skillet Restaurant, a gift store, a fresh to-go bar, and other amenities. Rocky Trail and his father, Bernard Trail, bought East Side Truck Stop in the early 1980s. The present facility at 820 Happy Trails Lane was built in 1998.
Trail’s Travel Center was named one of the coolest rest stops in the world by the Travel Channel, according to an article in the Albert Lea Tribune.
The Shell Rotella SuperRigs Truck Beauty Contest began in 1982 as a way to bring together and recognize hard-working drivers from throughout the trucking industry.
Trucks entered in SuperRigs are judged by industry professionals who work for major trucking publications or broadcast companies.
To register and for more information about Shell Rotella SuperRigs, visit Rotella.com. Event registration is recommended, but not required.
For updates on SuperRigs and Shell Rotella products and programs, follow Shell Rotella on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
This is a partial list of 2018 SuperRigs winners:
- Best of Show – OOIDA member Eric Turner Sr., Ellenwood, Ga., for his 2015 Peterbilt 389, 2018 Wally Mo 8 Car Hauler.
- Limited Mileage first place – OOIDA member Kaleb Hammett, Dodd City, Texas, for his 2017 Peterbilt 38.
- Tractor Division first place – Andrew Good, Bethel, Pa., for his 2016 Kenworth W900.
- Tractor-trailer Division first place – Bradlee Garetson, Lake Mills, Wis., for his 2016 Peterbilt 389, 2017 MAC.
- Most Hardworking Trucker – William Warner, Seneca Rocks, W. Va., driving a 1997 Peterbilt 37.
- People’s Choice – OOIDA member John George, Fairfield, Pa., for his 1974 Dodge C950 Bighorn.
- What Matters is Inside – OOIDA member James A. Rogers, Pevely, Mo., driving a 2015 Freightliner Cascadia, 2019 Utility.
Copyright © OOIDA