Pennsylvania is expecting more inclement weather. Consequently, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is issuing travel restrictions, including a commercial vehicle ban on specific roadways starting at midnight on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
On Monday, Feb. 11, PennDOT issued vehicle restrictions on certain roadways as a winter storm is expected in the area during the Monday evening and Tuesday morning rush hours. With potential snowfall and sleet or freezing way in the forecast, PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike will be implementing phased restrictions throughout the storm.
At midnight on Tuesday, Feb. 12, a full commercial vehicle ban will be in place on Interstate 70 in Fulton County (from the Maryland state line to the Turnpike) and on Interstate 99 from Interstate 80 to the Turnpike. Also at midnight, from New Stanton east to Carlisle, the Turnpike will prohibit:
- Empty, straight CDL-weighted trucks.
- All large combination vehicles (double trailers).
- Tractors hauling empty trailers.
- Any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs.
- All motorcycles.
- All recreational vehicles and RVs.
At 6 a.m. Tuesday, PennDOT and the PA Turnpike will implement a full commercial vehicle ban on the following roadways:
- Interstate 380 full length from I-81 to I-80.
- I-80 from I-79 to the New Jersey state line.
- I-81 from I-78 to the New York state line.
- I-84 full length from I-81 to the New York state line.
- I-476 (PA Turnpike, Northeast Ext.) from I-78 to Clarks Summit (exit 131).
- I-180 full length from Route 220/U.S. 15 to I-80.
Also at 6 a.m. Tuesday, PennDOT and the PA Turnpike will prohibit only empty, straight CDL-weighted trucks; all large combination vehicles (double trailers); tractors hauling empty trailers; any trailers pulled by motorcycles, passenger vehicles, pickup trucks or SUVs; all motorcycles; and all recreational vehicles and RVs on the following roadways:
- PA Turnpike (I-76, I-276, I-95) from I-81 to the New Jersey state line.
- I-476 (non-Turnpike, full length).
- I-476 (PA Turnpike, Northeast Ext.) from Mid-County (#20) to Lehigh Valley (exit 56).
- I-76 (Turnpike and non-Turnpike, New Stanton to Philadelphia).
- I-78 full length from I-81 to the New Jersey state line.
- I-81 from the Maryland state line to I-78 split.
- I-83 from the Maryland state line to I-81.
- I-95 full length.
- Route 22 from I-78 to the New Jersey state line.
- Route 33 from I-78 to I-80.
Additionally, a speed restriction of 45 mph will be in place on all roadways with vehicle restrictions at least during those time frames. Speed restrictions may be implemented sooner and on other roadways.
PennDOT also is also reminding motorists to be aware that all vehicles should be fully clear of ice and snow. If snow or ice is dislodged or falls from a moving vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian causing death or serious bodily injury, the operator of that vehicle could receive a $200 to $1,000 fine.
Copyright © OOIDA