The Senate leadership didn’t waste much time on the first day of the 116th Congress to release the rosters of members who will serve on the various committees. Of particular interest for truckers is the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, where there were few changes.
With the Republicans retaining control of the Senate in the 2018 election, while only a few seats are changing on the powerful committee, the Committee’s leadership for both the Republicans and Democrats has changed, according to rosters released by ENO Transportation Weekly.
Committee Chairman Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., relinquished his position leading the Committee when he took the majority whip position, however he remains on the committee. The gavel now is in the hands of Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss. For the Democrats, ranking member Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., lost his hotly contested 2018 election. Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., now takes over as ranking member.
Only two seats change on the Republican side of the committee. One seat, held by former Sen. Dean Heller, was vacant after his loss in the 2018 election. The other vacancy was a result of Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., leaving the committee. He is now chairman of the Armed Forces Committee.
Newcomers on the Democrat side include Sen. Kyrsten Sinema from Arizona and Sen. Jacky Rosen of Nevada. Leaving the committee, but serving on other committees are Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-Mass., and Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, D-Nevada.
Below is the full committee roster, according to ENO Transportation Weekly.
- Sen. Roger Wicker, Mississippi.
- Sen. John Thune, South Dakota.
- Sen. Roy Blunt, Missouri.
- Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas.
- Sen. Deb Fischer, Nebraska.
- Sen. Jerry Moran, Kansas.
- Sen. Dan Sullivan, Alaska.
- Sen. Cory Gardner, Colorado.
- Sen. Marsha Blackburn, Tennessee.
- Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia.
- Sen. Mike Lee, Utah.
- Sen. Ron Johnson, Wisconsin.
- Sen. Todd Young, Indiana.
- Sen. Rick Scott, Florida.
- Sen. Maria Cantwell, Washington.
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota.
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut.
- Sen. Brian Schatz, Hawaii.
- Sen. Edward Markey, Massachusetts.
- Sen. Tom Udall, New Mexico.
- Sen. Gary Peters, Michigan.
- Sen. Tammy Baldwin, Wisconsin.
- Sen. Tammy Duckworth, Illinois.
- Sen. Jon Tester, Montana.
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, Arizona.
- Sen. Jacky Rosen, Nevada.
Copyright © OOIDA