For the ninth week in a row, the average price per gallon in the U.S. for diesel fuel has dropped.
The Energy Information Administration on Monday reported the average price for a gallon of diesel dropped 4 cents. The average price for diesel dropped in each of the surveyed regions too.
The price is 22 cents higher than one year ago Monday.
Following are the average prices by region as reported by the EIA for Monday:
- U.S. – $3.121, down 4 cents.
- East Coast – $3.165, down 2.9 cents.
- New England – $3.276, down 1.9 cents.
- Central Atlantic – $3.342, down 2.6 cents.
- Lower Atlantic – $3.021, down 3.2 cents.
- Midwest – $3.066, down 5.1 cents.
- Gulf Coast – $2.90, down 3.4 cents.
- Rocky Mountain – $3.178, down 6.1 cents.
- West Coast – $3.604, down 4.8 cents.
- West Coast without California – $3.313, down 4.4 cents.
- California – $3.835, down 5.2 cents.
ProMiles reports the national average retail price for diesel on Monday, Dec. 17, being 5 cents lower than the week previous.
ProMiles, the software company that maintains the websites ProMiles.com and TruckMiles.com, offers its own weekly fuel price information. The company’s fuel price data are presented in the same format used by the EIA in the agency’s weekly reports. The prices include a national average as well as regional averages, and comparisons to the previous week and the previous year.
A key difference between the EIA and ProMiles reporting is the type and number of fueling stations the company surveys in order to calculate its averages. While EIA surveys 400 truck stops and convenience stores nationwide, ProMiles uses its direct feed from thousands of truck stops to develop its averages.
In the Midwest, the 7-cent drop pulled the average price for diesel fuel under $3 per gallon. The average for the Gulf Coast region also is below $3 per gallon
The U.S. average cost is 19.7 cents higher per gallon of diesel than one year ago. Last week the spread was 23.9 higher than a year before.
Following are the average prices by region as reported by the ProMiles.com:
- U.S. – $3.5, down 5 cents.
- East Coast – $3.136, down 3.3 cents.
- New England – $3.265, down 1.3 cents.
- Central Atlantic – $3.35, down 2.7 cents.
- Lower Atlantic – $3.045, down 4.8 cents.
- Midwest – $2.994, down 7 cents.
- Gulf Coast – $2.915, down 3.7 cents.
- Rocky Mountain – $3.195, down 5.5 cents.
- West Coast – $3.466, down 5.1 cents.
- West Coast less California – $3.259, down 4.6 cents.
- California – $3.792, down 4.9 cents.
AAA reports a national average price per gallon for diesel fuel at $3.074 for Monday, Dec. 10
A week previous, the price was $3.111.
A month previous, AAA reported $3.229 per gallon and a year ago $2.832 per gallon.
The highest recorded average price for diesel was $4.845 per gallon on July 17, 2008, according to AAA.
Copyright © OOIDA