Two rest areas open on I-20 in Ranger, Texas

By Tyson Fisher, Land Line staff writer | 4/19/2016

Two new rest areas in Texas between Dallas and Abilene have opened on Interstate 20, one each going westbound and eastbound, according to the Texas Department of Transportation.

According to TxDOT spokesperson Mark Cross, each of the “safety rest areas” has 28 striped parking spaces for tractor-trailers. Cross pointed out the spaces are for long rigs, so it is not unusual for the spaces to hold more.

Located in the city of Ranger, the rest areas cost approximately $24.6 million. According to Cross, 20 percent of that money came from the Texas Highway Fund, with the remaining 80 percent provided by Federal Transportation Enhancement Funds.

Amenities include restrooms, drinking water, picnic tables, separate truck and passenger parking, storm shelter and interpretive displays, according to the TxDOT website.

Copyright © OOIDA