New hazmat requirements take effect for U.S. drivers in Canada

| 10/2/2009

Attention, hazmat haulers hauling into Canada: The federal transportation ministry no longer accepts a hazardous materials endorsement as the sole evidence that a driver has completed necessary training.

Additional proof is now required in the form of a certificate of training, according to Transport Canada. These certificates, obtained at the completion of required training, must be available to show to inspectors, said Transport Canada Spokeswoman Maryse Durette.

“Canadian legislation requires that a person who handles, offers for transport, or transports dangerous goods be adequately trained and hold a training certificate. Their training certificate is their proof of training and must be provided to an inspector upon request,” Durette told Land Line on Thursday, Oct. 1.

The requirements for U.S. drivers are set out in section 6.3 of Part 6 of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations. There is no change for Canadian drivers, who are already required to carry a document as described in section 6.4 of the regulation.

The new regulation has begun with a six-month awareness program, which will end in March when full enforcement takes effect.

“Some enforcement personnel and some in the trucking industry are under the impression that the hazmat endorsement on the back of the hazmat carriers’ driver’s license meets American requirements that are equivalent to Canadian training requirements,” Durette said.

“If they do, these are acceptable. However, since U.S. drivers’ licenses are administered state-by-state, some states’ endorsements meet the Canadian standards; others do not. Similarly to Canadian drivers, a driver must carry a document that states that the individual has been trained according to CFR 49, which is the equivalent training required by Canadian legislation.”

– By David Tanner, staff writer