Conoco, Tyson to partner on biodiesel

| 4/20/2007

Conoco-Phillips and Tyson Foods have announced plans to team up to make biodiesel fuel out of animal fat.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Tyson produces about 300 million gallons of beef, pork and chicken fat each year. Once production of the animal fat diesel begins, the company plans to ship about 60 percent of its fat to a Conoco-Phillips plant for processing. The remaining 40 percent will be used in cosmetics, soap and pet food, as it is now.

If the companies win EPA approval, they hope to be pumping out 175 million gallons of animal fat biodiesel a year, the Journal reported.