Text Size + -
8/21/2013
Truckers back on the job after Port of Oakland terminal shutdown
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line staff writer

A group of about 100 truckers who shut down at least one major terminal at the Port of Oakland on Monday, Aug. 19, have agreed to go back to work.

A posting on the port’s website on Wednesday said that as of 11 a.m. Wednesday the port “has observed no protests in the maritime area.”

Truckers initially started protesting on Monday morning at five berths that were consolidated last month into a single terminal owned by SSA Marine. Those berths had been having reported as having wait times in excess of six hours. Once in line at the terminal, drivers are not allowed to exit their trucks because of safety concerns. Those who do, risk fines if caught.

The excessive wait times have been “horrible since the beginning of July,” according to Gloria Stockmyer with Stockmyer Trucking, a drayage importer/exporter that does business at the port.

“A lot of guys are waiting hours and hours to get one load out,” Stockmyer said in a phone interview with Land Line on Wednesday. “Longer wait times is the main issue. The lines are out of the terminal, sometimes a couple of miles long. Once they’re in the terminal, it takes another several hours to get a container. Sometimes it’s five to seven hours wait time.”

Stockmyer said the protests had ceased Wednesday, after a group of truckers met with city officials and the port commissioner. She said the groups are forming a task force to address issues at the terminal.

“I think the task force is a very positive thing,” she said. “If you have all the stakeholders coming to the table and working toward a common solution, that’s a positive thing. I’m hopeful.”

Copyright © OOIDA

Comments

July Digital Edition