by Gary Bricken
The annual Shell SuperRigs historically draws the top competition from all over the United States. This year, the TA in San Antonio, TX, hosted the contest May 17-19.
In this contest you can be the best-of-the-best and still not qualify for the prestigious Shell calendar. The 13 trucks chosen every year are selected not only for being outstanding show rigs, but must be everyday working rigs as well. Shell naturally doesn’t want the calendar to be just a collection of over-the-road cruisers, but a true cross section of trucks both from the standpoint of brand names and occupational choices. They want reefers, tankers, bobtails, daycabs and chicken haulers, all in different colors and they also must fit the theme chosen for photo sites.
No one but the art directors knows who’ll be featured in next year’s Shell SuperRigs calendar. OOIDA members who won trophies and are possible candidates include Darian Stephens of Hereford, PA, and his 1995 Freightliner, who won first in the tractor competition; Tod Job of Jefferson City, MO, who won second with his 1996 Pete in the Best of Show division; Californians Roger and Heather Hogeland, who placed third in tractor-trailers; and Chris Lewis of Jackson, MO, who was awarded fourth with his 1999 Pete in the classic division.This year two OOIDA members, Californian Heather Hogeland (middle) and Shay Turner of San Antonio, TX, (left) were among the truck owners who gave it their all for a piece of glory, each helping the other with the endless tasks of polishing and detailing. Hogeland won a trophy by placing third in the super tough tractor-trailer division. She was assisted by Roger Hogeland (not pictured) and her niece, Stephany Smith (right). Best of Show
- First place Vladimir Bilik Jr., Santa Clarita, CA, with his 2001 Peterbilt 379 and 2001 Great Dane reefer.
- Second place Tod L. Job, Jefferson City, MO, with his 1996 Peterbilt 379 and 1997 Great Dane (OOIDA member).
- Third place Rick Torres, Valley Center, CA, with his 1992 Peterbilt 379 and 1993 Ravens flatbed.
- First place Larry and Kim Dyck, Winnipeg, Manitoba, with their 1987 Peterbilt 359.
- Second place Bill Culver, Ratcliff, AR, with his 1990 Peterbilt 370 and 1997 CMC end dump.
- Third place Albert D. Wilbanks, San Antonio, TX, and his 1971 Peterbilt.
- Fourth place Andy Van Es, Smithville, Ontario, and his 1957 Peterbilt.
- Fifth place Ray Barnes, Castroville, TX, and his 1991 Peterbilt 379.
- First place Darian Stephens, Hereford, PA, and his 1995 Freightliner Classic XL (OOIDA member).
- Second place Chuck Prigge, Valley Center, CA, with his 1996 Peterbilt 379.
- Third place Russ and Debbie Brown, Oklahoma City, OK, with their 1999 Kenworth W900.
- Fourth place Chris Lewis, Jackson, MO, with his 1999 Peterbilt 379 (OOIDA member).
- Fifth place Steve and Melissa Woodard, Joplin, MO, with their 1998 Peterbilt 379.
- First place David Geer, Fruitvale, TX, with his 1998 Peterbilt 379 and 1998 Utility R2000.
- Second place Victor Verret, New Iberia, LA, with his 1994 Kenworth W900L and 1995 Wilson.
- Third place Roger and Heather Hogeland, Bloomington, CA, with their 1999 Kenworth W900L and 2000 48' reefer spread axle (OOIDA members).
- Fourth place Trev Timblin, West Bend, WI, and his 2001 Freightliner XL 132 Classic and 2001 Great Dane classic dry van.
- Fifth place Curtis Christians, Rock Port, MO, and his 2000 Peterbilt 379L and 2001 Great Dane.
Elsewhere on the lot, OOIDA members Kim and Dave Pringle of London, AR, worked for days on their fantastic purple 1998 Peterbilt with a full-blown Double Eagle sleeper. “We didn’t win, but it was our first show and we met a lot of great folks and had a whole bunch of fun,” said Kim. Above, Kim stands in front of her hard working 654,000-mile show truck featuring a fantastic flame job.
The winners gather for the group photo at the end of the Shell SuperRigs competition in Sanantonio, TX.